6/25/2015

Self-worth

“By what merit?” He asked me.

And I stared at him, wide-eyed, scanning his face for answers.

Yet, I knew the answer to that question.

I knew who I was – in a simple sense: I was a girl with a very big heart.

A very big heart, ready and hoping to find that one person I could show it to.

“I’ll shower you with love!” I answered, proudly.

“But love doesn’t pay bills, honey,” he tutted.

And of course he was right. As always.

“Well, we would work, of course! But I’m offering you a lifetime of support and care and-“

“There’s more to life than that,” he interjected, clearly not seeing eye-to-eye with me.

We stared at each other in silence for a while and I felt the disconnect settle in.

I scanned his stoic face again as a wave of heat washed over me.

“Why are you being so stubborn?” I mustered, my anger leaking.

“You will understand one day,” he said.

And then he turned on his heel and walked away.

No comments:

Post a Comment